[Openstack] launching multiple VMs takes very long time

Steve Heistand steve.heistand at nasa.gov
Tue Apr 30 18:42:56 UTC 2013

if I launch one vm at a time its doesnt very long to start up the instance. maybe a minute.
if I launch 4 instances (of the same snapshot as before) it takes 30 minutes.

they are all launching to different compute nodes, the controllers are all multicore,
I dont see any processes on the compute nodes taking much cpu power, the controller has
a keystone process mostly sucking up 1 core, loads and loads of beam.smp from rabbitmq but
none are really taking any cpu time.

the glance image storage is on the controller node, the snapshots are 2-3G in size.

where should I start looking to find out why things are so slow?

thanks

 Steve Heistand                           NASA Ames Research Center
 SciCon Group                             Mail Stop 258-6
 steve.heistand at nasa.gov  (650) 604-4369  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000
 "Any opinions expressed are those of our alien overlords, not my own."

# For Remedy                        #
#Action: Resolve                    #
#Resolution: Resolved               #
#Reason: No Further Action Required #