[Openstack] Call for mentors

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Apr 25 19:42:28 UTC 2013

Hi all,
We are participating again in the GNOME Outreach Program for Women and are
also in the early planning stages for a mentor program for OpenStack. I'd
like to find out who in the community is interested in becoming a mentor
within the OpenStack projects.

If you're interested in being a mentor or just want to find out more,
please contact me and Stefano Maffulli. Mentors should be ready to flex
their schedule to help a newcomer contribute to OpenStack. Mentors and
interns gave a presentation at the Summit last week and you can watch it at
to get an idea of expectations and experience for mentors.
http://www.openstack.org/summit/portland-2013/session-videos/presentation/what-everyone-ought-to-know-about-openstack-internships

We have an Ideas page for OPW started at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OutreachProgramForWomen/Ideas. Feel free to
add ideas for projects using the template pattern on that page. These are 3
month projects for students or non-students, using code, community, docs,
or other ideas.

We have an Internship Ideas page for more generalized ideas for students or
others learning OpenStack at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/InternshipProjects/Ideas. These can be
broad ideas but the goals are to onboard newcomers, provide 1:1 mentoring,
and get interesting projects created. Makers welcome.

Thanks all for thinking up cool, goofy, creative, fun projects. My riff off
of Rob Hirschfeld's idea is up there now. :)

Anne