[Openstack] Checkpoint VM and roll back

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Thu Apr 25 18:26:12 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:

> I'd like to be able to
>
> 1. checkpoint a running virtual machine
> 2. run a test
> 3. rollback to the checkpoint from step 1
>
> Has anyone had experience of doing this using OpenStack (such as with
> snapshots) ?

For slow cycling tests like revising our base operating system images or
deploying large new config management blocks I:

1) boot from a base image
2) deploy and test change
3) on pass snapshot on fail destroy and relaunch last good snapshot
4) recurse as required for multi layered change tests

For faster cycles OpenStack snapshoting may be too cumbersome.  I've used
LVM and ZFS snapshots to provide in operating system roll back and have
read of others doing CoW overlays (unionfs as similar) but that's operating
system specific on openstack.

-Jon