[Openstack] [Quantum] traffic routes question

Steve Heistand steve.heistand at nasa.gov
Wed Apr 24 14:45:59 UTC 2013

Im having trouble getting the floating IPs on the external network
accessible from the outside world. From the network node they work
fine but somehow I doubt that means anything.

so my network node (also controller node) has 4 ethernets, 1 for management,
1 for VM traffic, 1 that is an extra external connection in case I screw
things up and an external connection that is bridged for the normal br-ex interface.
the two internal are 10.X, 172.X types, the two external are on the same
subnet, .100 for extra, .101 for the 1 qrouter set up at the moment.
The external subnet was created with a gateway pointing at the next hop
upstream from the network node.

setting a VM with an external IP (.102) works ok, from the network node I can
ssh into it and all, from other other VMs I can get to the external floating IP.
But I doubt any of that means its really set up correctly.

My question is this, the upstream routers all think the next hop for
the floating IPs are the .101 qrouter IP address. The router that gets
set up will route packets in from this side of things will it not?

Ive tried turning off iptables in case something was blocking traffic
but that didnt help anything.

Ive tried tcpdump on the gateway router device (qg-9dd1a800-c5/.101) and see
stuff going to the .102 IP when its coming from the VMs. But nothing when
I try to connect to it from the outside world.
Dont see any traffic for .102 on the other external network either.

I dont have any access to the next hop upstream to see what packets
are going where.

But this should all work correct?

thanks

- --
 Steve Heistand                          NASA Ames Research Center
 email: steve.heistand at nasa.gov          Steve Heistand/Mail Stop 258-6
 ph: (650) 604-4369                      Bldg. 258, Rm. 232-5
 Scientific & HPC Application            P.O. Box 1
 Development/Optimization                Moffett Field, CA 94035-0001
 "Any opinions expressed are those of our alien overlords, not my own."

# For Remedy                        #
#Action: Resolve                    #
#Resolution: Resolved               #
#Reason: No Further Action Required #