[Openstack] How to make HA between VMs in the openstack

Ritesh Nanda riteshnanda09 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 14:18:01 UTC 2013

Hello Lei,

   Both ways can be used, depends if you want your database to be
accessible outside the datacenter network as highly available then FIP can
be used , if it would internal services that would be using database , then
you can implement using Fixed ips , but for that , you need to mark
fixed_ip as  reserved in the nova database fixed_ip table the ip you would
be using as a virtual ip, otherwise ip would be allocated to another vm you
provision in openstack.
I hope that gives the answer.

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Lei Zhang <zhang.lei.fly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Syed,
> Thanks for you quickly reply. But What I want is HA between VMs not HA
> between Physical Machine(Openstack Node/ Services)
>

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Syed Armani <syed.armani at hastexo.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Lei Zhang,
>>
>> You can find more information about HA in OpenStack in this guide:
>> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-ha/content/index.html
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Syed Armani
>>
>> On Monday 08 April 2013 04:46 PM, Lei Zhang wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I am using Folsom, and I want to set up a HA between VMs. For example, I
>> > have two DB VMs. One is the primary and other is a slave. I want to use
>> > Keepalive or pacemake to switch between them when one is failed.
>> >
>> > But how to implement this? Because in general, we need a dynamic IP to
>> > associate to the VMs and change the relationship when necessary. But
>> > which IP should be used ? Floating ip or Fixed IP? and how.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Lei Zhang
>> >
>> > Blog: http://jeffrey4l.github.com
>> > twitter/weibo: @jeffrey4l