[Openstack] [Swift] Use JSON in object xattr

Samuel Merritt sam at swiftstack.com
Sat Apr 6 22:24:25 UTC 2013

On 4/6/13 11:13 AM, Victor Rodionov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Now in Swift object server (swift.object.server.DiskFile) for
> serialization objects meta data used python cPickle module.
>
> So the question is why not use other portable serialization format for
> this, for example JSON?

If you're asking why the initial design decision was made to use pickle
instead of JSON, I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that one. Perhaps
one of the original developers will chime in here.

If you're asking why Swift continues to use pickles instead of JSON,
it's because pickles are adequate for the task, and migrating would be a
big pain.