[Openstack] "multi-host" mode in quantum

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Thu Apr 4 19:59:33 UTC 2013

Hi All,

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Henry Gessau <gessau at cisco.com> wrote:
>Unfortunately, I don't think "multiple network nodes" is the same
"multi-host network mode" that Xin is asking about.

>The following did not make it into grizzly and is now targeted for havana:
>https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/quantum-multihost<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/quantum-multihost>

I'm hoping that means there still needs to be a central dhcp server but the
multiple L3 agents mean actual traffic from VMs can be managed directly on
the compute note they are running on and doesn't need to be sent back to a
different network node before being nat'ed or tagged?

Multi-host was the single most important feature for me in the quantum blue
prints, if nat'ed networks need to be piped through a gateway box other
than the physical host the instance is on quantum remains a no go for me.
Having a central (but redundant) dhcp with distributed NAT may actually be
an improvement over having to run dnsmasq literally everywhere.

-Jon