[Openstack] CY13-Q1 Community Analysis — OpenStack vs OpenNebula vs Eucalyptus vs CloudStack

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Apr 2 19:25:04 UTC 2013

Thanks John, it's always interesting to see comparisons among different
projects. Although comparisons are hard to make :)

I was looking at the "Participating Ratio", the ratio between “the
number of  posts” and “the number of topics” that in your post you
assume it represents the participation rate of an online community.

In your post you argue that "the number of replies to a specific topic
represents the attention being received, and the depth of discussion for
that particular topic" basically assuming that a high ratio is always
better. I disagree with this assumption.

My explanation for decreasing depth of discussions is that the topics
discussed are less controversial and require less amount of messages to
close. For OpenStack, patches and changes to code are not discussed on
the mailing lists anymore but they are debated (sometimes heavily) on
review.openstack.org instead (which your tools don't capture) while
afaik cloudstack and other projects seem to review patches on the -dev
mailing lists. Comparisons across these projects are hard indeed.

You highlight OpenStack's decreasing 'participating ratio' leaving in
the reader the impression that this must be bad but I don't think that's
the right conclusion (nor the only one).

I would suggest you to rename "participating ratio" into
"participating-bickering ratio": slightlgy longer but more neutral;
lowering "participating-bickering ratio" is neither good nor bad and it
forces reader to go investigate the causes (and you avoid being
mis-quoted by some blogger/pundit that doesn't have time to dive deeper
in the causes).

Have you investigated and found other reasons for why the
participating-bickering ratio changes so much for OpenStack (especially
in the early days) and Cloudstack?

Cheers,
stef

PS just a heads-up: we've added https://ask.openstack.org in March to
our properties, so next quarter please add it as a source to your dataset