[Openstack] Setup described in "OpenStack Install and Deploy Manual - Ubuntu"

Gui Maluf guimalufb at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 13:21:04 UTC 2012

I think in OpenStack, services may run in different servers, so there
is no correct setup.
What the manual say about network config is:

"This walkthrough shows network configurations for a single server.
For OpenStack Compute, networking is configured on multi-node
installations between the physical machines on a single subnet."

Anyway you can use both setup's through the manual, once it divide the
installation in two things: controller and node. You can mix both
together, making the node installation inside the controller, OR you
can put node-compute and controller in  complete separated servers.

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Ahmed Al-Mehdi <ahmed at coraid.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am following the steps mentioned in the "OpenStack Install and Deploy
> Manual - Ubuntu"
> (http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/install/apt/content/).
> I am a bit confused about how the setup (which server performs which
> function).  This confusion arose after looking at the "Network" section of
> nova.conf (Page 47).
>
> Which of the following best describes the setup in the manual:
>   Setup1: Physical server1 - controller node and compute node.  User can
> setup additional compute node(s).
>   Setup2: Physical server1- controller node.   Physical server2 - computer
> node.   User can setup additional compute node(s).
>
> If "Setup1" is the answer, then why does the "/etc/network/interfaces" file
> (mentioned in section "Pre-configuring the network" on Page 44), does not
> mention the static IP address of eth0 - 192.168.206.130.
eth0 is the public interface but is use to the private network as
well, so it should get the ip address via dhcp, and have access to
Internet with this iface. With controller+node on the same server,
nova-network will use eth0 as a bridge for all vm's and to provide
outside access to Internet for vms and server. There isn't need to
mention the ip address of eth0, Once the static or dhcp configuration
will depends on your whole network/LAN set up. ip address of eth0 will
vary on your config, but I'm pretty sure is suppose to be a fixed IP
address.

> If "Setup2" is the answer, then what is the use of some of the entries in
> the "network" section of nova.conf file on the controller node (pertaining
> to bridge and IP address range) mentioned in Page 47):
>

> public_interface=br100
>
> vlan_interface=eth0
>
> flat_network_bridge=br100
>
> flat_interface=eth0
>
> fixed_range=10.0.0.0/24

I think nova.conf is meant to be the same for all node. In setup1 or
setup2 this configuration will be use once the eth0 is the only
interface available for both compute and controller. Both will use
eth0 to have access to private and public network.

I don't know if I was able to answer your question. If I'm was not
clear I hope some one can help you.

> Thank you very much in advance.  My apologies if this is a newbie question,
> as I am just learning to use the OpenStack platform.
>
> I am happy to repost my message to the appropriate mailing list (doc
> related) if this is not the correct one.
>
> Regards,
> Ahmed.

guilherme \n
\tab maluf