[Openstack] Doc on nova-volume

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Sep 27 19:15:40 UTC 2012

Hi Ahmed -

Some thoughts below.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Ahmed Al-Mehdi <ahmed at coraid.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently setup an OpenStack environment using two servers.  I read-up the
> document "Object Storage Administration Guide" at the OpenStack site.  I
> have two questions:
>  - I love the first few chapters of this document that talks about
> conceptual parts of a cloud OS, and then maps the components in it to what
> is provided by OpenStack.  However, this document refers to the "Cactus"
> release.  Is there an updated document for the Essex release  (containing
> similar chapters)?

I believe the only reference to "Cactus" in the Object Storage Admin
Guide is that Glance has been stable since Cactus. Please re-read the
sections starting here:
For folsom: http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-object-storage/admin/content/logical-architecture.html

For essex: http://docs.openstack.org/essex/openstack-object-storage/admin/content/logical-architecture.html

>  - I am trying to understand (detail wise) the difference in services
> provided by swift (object store) and nova-volume.  For example, if I wanted
> to provide storage/volumes/LUNs via FCoE, should I be pretty much focusing
> on the "nova-volume" module.

Object Storage is Swift, Block storage is Cinder as of the Folsom
release. Please read:
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-object-storage/admin/content/overview-block-storage-arch.html

We don't yet have a separate "Block Storage" Admin guide to point to.

Hope this helps.
Anne