[Openstack] What's up doc? September 26 2012

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Sep 26 17:49:19 UTC 2012

After Thursday's code release, I will meet with Thierry to get ideas
for how to scientifically determine a good doc release date based on
the bug/task list. Stay tuned for that.

I have instructions for how to do a docs release at
http://wiki.openstack.org/Documentation/Release. In case I am hit by a
bus or otherwise rendered useless, I pledge to keep this page updated.

1. In review and merged this past week:
Lots of exclamation marks here because I was wowed this past week a
few times. Nice work Stackers!
New landing pages for docs.openstack.org!
Tons of new entries in the Glossary, thank you Josh Turgasen! Email me
a mailing address and I will send really a nice OpenStack gift. I mean
it!
New Quantum Admin guide!
Great new section on XenServer configurations for Migration!

In review: VNC proxy diagram: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/13634/

In review: all-in-one Folsom install https://review.openstack.org/#/c/13713/

2. High priority doc work:
Definitely need more volumes doc updates, John mentioned the need in
his cinder weekly meeting.

Restructuring the source and builds for api.openstack.org with the end
result of redirecting from docs.openstack.org/api to
api.openstack.org. Any questions? Here's the plan.
https://etherpad.openstack.org/api-site-structure

Here are some doc tasks we'd like help with:
Task: Document how to configure Keystone with SSL
Task: Document keystone middleware situation in operator docs
Task: Update Ubuntu install/deploy guide to explain the Cloud Archive
Task: Add information about scaling out additional volume nodes for Compute

3. Doc work going on that I know of:
John Griffith to populate volume-api repo with an API spec.

4. New incoming doc requests:
Ongoing fixes to pom.xml and builds.
Need to get working builds for Identity API and Image API specs.

5. Doc tools updates:
The Clouddocs maven plugin has a few fixes coming in soon, perhaps
this month, but we'll update our pom.xmls to pick these up after the
release. Here's the ones we want:
- Automatically handle images:
        Detects if images are missing from a document and fail if an
image is missing. You can turn off this validation by setting
<strictImageValidation>false</strictImageValidation> in your pom.xml.
        For Webhelp output, automatically converts .svg to .png.
        Automatically copies images to the Webhelp output directory.
- Automatically build pdf when building webhelp and copy pdf to
webhelp directory unless <makePdf>false</makePdf> is set in your
pom.xml.
-  Provide better error messages if incorrect DocBook version is used
(i.e. if DocBook 4.x is used instead of 5.x). Fixes bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1008581.
-  Move profiling to early in the pipeline. This fixes bugs where
content in title and revhistory weren't being profiled, such as
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1008579.
- Fix bug where IDREFs weren't validated. (Might fix
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1031374).

6. Other doc news:
Still seeking one additional topic proposal for the Summit - I will
fill it with "Grizzly doc planning" if no one else has a burning doc
discussion need. Also would it be useful to have a docs user test area
in the Developer lounge? I'd love to set that up. And, do we want to
have a doc meetup at one of the lunch tables at the Summit? Let me
know.