[Openstack] Tracking OpenStack adoption / Discussion at Summit

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Sep 24 17:30:01 UTC 2012

Hello folks,

One  of the objectives of the OpenStack Foundation is to "Make OpenStack
the  ubiquitous cloud operating system". In order to reach that
objective  the Foundation needs to understand more about the usage of
the OpenStack  software.

Until  now we've been counting downloads from Launchpad but that source
is  less and less accurate because OpenStack Distributions have become
the  main form to test, run and deploy OpenStack. Something like the
Canonical Census that sends the daily anonymous ‘I’m alive’ ping for
each Ubuntu installation by OEM or Mozilla’s Telemetry that captures
more sophisticated details to gain hindsights about usage of Firefox.
(http://arewesnappyyet.com/)

I filed a proposal to brainstorm at the Summit to identify new ways to
measure usage of OpenStack around the world. I'd be glad if all product
managers of OpenStack distributions and users contribute their opinions
on it.

thanks,
.stef