[Openstack] paas in openstack and forked cloudfoindry

Matt Hicks mhicks at redhat.com
Sun Sep 16 11:49:50 UTC 2012

On 09/12/2012 09:13 PM, Frans Thamura wrote:
> hi all
>
> we try to make openstack as paas using cloudfoundry. and also seeking
> alternative to it
>
> shocked that there are forked cloudfiundry. and got that vmware manage
> different way his cloudfoundry
>
> there are piston, stackato i hear appfog
>
> never hear cf manage the way people do. in this case forking esp bosh
>
> bosh is the link to openstack and got the forker using openstack as platform
>
> i try to see in different way. hoe openstack work with them and what is
> the best
>
> glad there are competition. but sadly one become many rather unique
> innovation
>
> any feedback? i try to promote open paas and openstack in one community
> program
>
> thx all
>
> Frans Thamura
> Meruvian

Warning - I'm a biased party since I work on OpenShift, but I couldn't
resist...

Another good option to consider is OpenShift.  OpenShift [1] has also
been designed from the ground up around an extensible 'cartridge' model
[2] that allows any software to be integrated and managed by the
platform.  OpenShift's dependencies are also isolated to the operating
system which allow it to work on any IaaS solution like OpenStack.  We
think the combination of secure multi-tenancy that OpenShift provides in
conjunction with private cloud capabilities that OpenStack provides is
really powerful.  If you want to see something up and running quickly,
you can check out what the Heat API guys have done with OpenStack +
OpenShift [3].

In terms of PaaS 'API' standardization, I think the industry is a ways
out from that.  While higher level PaaS API's might seem to provide
portability, many lower level details still are exposed that the
applications are forced to deal with.  Those include things like
application runtimes, storage, operating system versions and isolation
techniques.

That said, our goal is to build strong standards in this space over
time.  We are involved in several industry PaaS standards but they are
still a ways out from being finalized [4][5].  Also, consider how fast
the multi-tenancy technologies themselves are evolving in the operating
system (e.g. kernel namespaces, linux control groups, selinux sandboxes)
in addition to the ways to utilize them (e.g. lxc).  Given that pace, it
feels a little early to make long term decisions about where to draw the
line between a virtual machine and a linux container.  Knowing how to
leverage 'containers' is critical enough for a PaaS that I believe we'll
have to have more standardization at that layer before we see the PaaS
evolution slow down.

In the meantime though, we're going to keep hacking on OpenShift and
OpenStack, so if there is anything you'd like to see, just let us know! [6]

1 - http://red.ht/In0DOn
2 - http://red.ht/Il2XBZ
3 - https://github.com/heat-api/heat/wiki/Runningopenshift
4 - http://www.infoq.com/news/2012/08/CAMP-PaaS