[Openstack] Future of Launchpad OpenStack mailing list (this list)

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Sep 14 00:40:22 UTC 2012

On 09/13/2012 01:45 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> That would be option B2 ("single user/general list, named openstack"):
> openstack at lists.openstack.org
> openstack-announce at lists.openstack.org
> openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
>
> I think it's the clearest to avoid cross-posting...
>
> Reminder: here were the other options:
>
> Option A1 ("separate operators, general named openstack-general"):
> openstack-general at lists.openstack.org
> openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org
> openstack-announce at lists.openstack.org
> openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
>
> Option A2 ("separate operators, general just named openstack)":
> openstack at lists.openstack.org
> openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org
> openstack-announce at lists.openstack.org
> openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
>
> Option B1 ("single user/general list, named openstack-user"):
> openstack-user at lists.openstack.org
> openstack-announce at lists.openstack.org
> openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org

All lovely options, if we started with mailing lists today.
Unfortunately we already have the list openstack-operators *and* we have
the general list to move to a new host. I'd rather not move *two* lists,
annoying two large sets of people and losing many of them in the
process. Sometimes (and I believe this is one of the cases) you have to
live with 'technical debt'.

The viable options are A1 or A2 or A3*
(s/openstack-general/openstack-users/) or

Option C (dev, announce and operators as user/general list --no renames,
no moving stuff around, just a new description)
openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org
openstack-announce at lists.openstack.org
openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org

> Option Z ("keep current situation"):

forget about this, we have to move out of LP for lists.

I would go with option C but if that's not an option then let's create a
new list (B1 nomenclature for the new list gets my vote) and leave
-operators as is.

/stef