[Openstack] Future of Launchpad OpenStack mailing list (this list)

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Sep 13 08:45:06 UTC 2012

Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 09/12/2012 08:56 PM, Syd (Sydney) Logan wrote:
>> Guess the only advantage would be to minimize the chance of someone
>> missing the security related messages in the noise of a heavy traffic
>> mailing list.
>>
>> Even if there were a specialized list, I’d think you’d want to cross
>> post security issues to all lists, depending on severity (and with
>> security, all issues are generally severe).
>
> We have started posting the security advisories to the
> openstack-announce list, as well.  That should cover those wanting to
> watch out for them on a low volume mailing list.
>
> I like the simple group of openstack@, openstack-dev@, and
> openstack-announce at .

That would be option B2 ("single user/general list, named openstack"):
openstack at lists.openstack.org
openstack-announce at lists.openstack.org
openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org

I think it's the clearest to avoid cross-posting...

Reminder: here were the other options:

Option A1 ("separate operators, general named openstack-general"):
openstack-general at lists.openstack.org
openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org
openstack-announce at lists.openstack.org
openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org

Option A2 ("separate operators, general just named openstack)":
openstack at lists.openstack.org
openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org
openstack-announce at lists.openstack.org
openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org

Option B1 ("single user/general list, named openstack-user"):
openstack-user at lists.openstack.org
openstack-announce at lists.openstack.org
openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org

Option Z ("keep current situation"):
openstack at lists.launchpad.net
openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org
openstack-announce at lists.openstack.org
openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org

My own order of preference is A1, B2, A2, B1, Z. I'm fine with B2 if
people in -operators are OK with it.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack