[Openstack] Future of Launchpad OpenStack mailing list (this list)

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Sep 12 20:23:01 UTC 2012

On 09/04/2012 09:57 AM, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
> Do we have information on the type/number of discussions that are
> "user" and not "operator"? "general" and not "user" or "operator"?

well, that would be good to know. Like it would be good to understand
what sort of topics we get on each lists. From what I see, the topics
discussed on operators and on launchpad seem very similar to me. I'm
leaning on the side of merging the two lists because even if the
operators are a very specific, identifiable group of people, the
discussions they have seem to be 'general'.

I can run some numbers but I'm not sure what to look for. I can
calculate the most frequent words in the subject lines in the operators
lists (not on launchpad): would that give us an understanding of what
discussions are being held there? How else would you mine the mailbox
archives?

> One thing to keep in mind is that the more divisions there are in a
> set of things which are conceptually similar, the greater amount of
> confusion that will result...

a sacred truth. I know that technically operators are different than
users different than firstcomers to OpenStack. The reality of human
interaction though is that nobody reads the descriptions of the lists
and messages end up being posted randomly. Generally more lists equals
more crossposts (at best).

/stef