[Openstack] After expanding fixed ip range instances no longer have network

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Fri Sep 7 15:33:51 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Running Essex on Ununtu 12.04 using multi-host  FlatDHCP nova-networking

I ran out of IPs on my fixed_ip range so I shut everything (instances,
nova-network, nova-compute) down deleted the old network and recreated
it with a smaller netmask.  This seems to have almost worked.

I can start more instances than I previously had fixed ip's, the right
ones seem to be being assigned and the mask on the recreated bridge
interfaces is correct, but the (ubuntu-cloudimage) instances can't
seem to see their NIC's any more, or perhaps aren't getting dhcp
properly I'm still trying to force my way in as our instances rather
rely on net access for accounts.

On the compute node things seem OK the bridge is up and the right
things are connected:

root at nova-5:/var/log/nova# brctl show br100
bridge name	bridge id		STP enabled	interfaces
br100		8000.60eb69d22521	no		eth1
							vnet0
							vnet1
							vnet2

I do notice this in iptables:

Chain nova-network-POSTROUTING (1 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  10.0.0.0/16          nova-5.csail.mit.edu
ACCEPT     all  --  10.0.0.0/16          10.128.0.0/24
ACCEPT     all  --  10.0.0.0/16          10.0.0.0/16          ! ctstate DNAT

my fixed range is 10.0.0.0/16 not sure where 10.128.0.0/24 comes into
it as I don't use that network, but can't see that as a problem.

Can any one tell me what I've looked?

-Jon