[Openstack] Quantum PTL election - please check Voters list

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Thu Sep 6 16:35:06 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
> Dan Wendlandt wrote:
>> I must admit even I was unaware of the requirement to be a individual
>> foundation member in order to vote in PTL elections (I personally
>> happen to be a member already).  There are definitely at least a few
>> people on the list below that I feel should be able to vote but can't,
>> including two core members, Sumit and Aaron.
>
> It's a requirement that was set upon us by the Foundation bylaws, and
> that was communicated on the wiki page describing the election process
> (and in one of my subsequent nagging emails). I agree it could have been
> communicated a bit more clearly, but hey, I was in vacation :)

and a well deserved vacation at that :)

>> This is not the end of the world, but I'm guessing both Gary and I
>> would both feel better if people had a chance to revisit their
>> foundation status.  Is there anything we can do about this?
>
> The wording in the rules on the wiki is slightly ambiguous as it
> mentions a clear cut-off dates for commits, but no cut-off date for
> Foundation individual membership.
>
> My suggestion would therefore be to give Quantum committers until the
> end of the day to sign up for the Foundation as an individual member if
> they want to participate in the election.
>
> We would enable that interpretation of the election rules if both
> candidates agree, and the other election officials agree.
>
> Would that work for you ?

That would be fantastic.  To a large degree, I feel bad that I was
unaware of this rule and therefore didn't alert the rest of the
Quantum team members at the team meeting to make sure they were aware
of the voting requirement.

I spoke with Gary on IRC and I believe he would agree with this.  He
was away from computer for a bit, but I asked him to chime in on the
thread when he was back online.

Thanks for the flexibility.

Dan

--