[Openstack] Quantum vs. Nova-network in Folsom

andi abes andi.abes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 21:50:13 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Dan Wendlandt <dan at nicira.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 5:23 AM, andi abes <andi.abes at gmail.com> wrote:
>> late to the party... but I'll dabble.

>>> To what end?
>>
>> OVS provides much more robust monitoring and operational facilities
>> (e.g sFlow monitoring, better switch table visibility etc).
>
> You won't find any disagreement from me about OVS having more advanced
> capabilities :)
>
>> It also provides a linux-bridge compatibility layer (ovs-brcompatd
>> [1]), which should work out-of-box with the linux-bridge. As such,
>> switching to using OVS rather than the linux bridge could be done
>> without any code changes to nova, just deployment changes (e.g. ensure
>> that ovs-brcompatd is running to intercept brctl ioctl's - [2]).
>
> Using ovs-brcompatd would be possible, though some distros do not
> package and run it by default and in general it is not the "preferred"
> way to run things according to email on the OVS mailing list.

agreed this is providing minimal exposure to OVS capabilities. The
thought was that it would provide a path to:
* AVOID making ANY changes to nova-network, while still being able to use ovs
* this could allow Operators to obtain operational experience running
and monitoring ovs when its deployed in a somewhat degenerate
deployment.

>> For the more adventurous, there could be any number of interesting
>> scenarios enabled by having access to ovs capabilities  (e.g.
>> tunneling)
>
> Tunneling is definitely a huge benefit of OVS, but you still need
> someone to setup the tunnels and direct packets into them correctly.
> That's is exactly what the Quantum OVS plugin does and it is
> completely open source and freely available, so if people want to
> experiment with OVS tunneling, using Quantum would seem like the
> obvious way to do this.

true. but that would require moving on to quantum, with the associated pains.

> Dan

sorry if I stirred a fuss on a relatively dormant thread.