[Openstack] [Openstack-devel] Ubuntu and Debian package diff for nova

Julien Danjou acid at debian.org
Wed Sep 5 08:00:38 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 05 2012, Thomas Goirand wrote:

Hi Thomas,

> There may have been some other contributors (especially Debconf
> translations), but that's the main team. I'm not sure if Julien still
> wants to get involved in the Debian packaging of Openstack, since he is
> busy on the Ceilometer project.

Well, I'm still interested, but don't have any direct use of them as of
today, and have other things to do as you stated, so I'm not very active
right now, I admit. :)

> What happened > One of the problem we have in Debian, is that we have a strong allergy
> to bzr. We use Git, and we are happy to do so, and I don't believe that
> any of us wishes to go back to using bzr, for the same reasons Openstack
> itself moved to Github. Also, since we use Git, it's easy for us to
> import "upstream" code, which is a way better.

FWIW I think you pointed (one of) the real problem here. :)

> It's a little bit too late in the release cycle, I'm fearing the release
> team reaction here.

Oh, I think that all changes are too late now anyway.

> There shouldn't be a version depend on lsb-base. Any lsb-base is fine,
> IMO.

I can't recall why, but I'm pretty sure the version is here for a good
reason and for the init scripts.

>>  nova-ajax-console-proxy:
>>  - Debian does not provide this package at all. Ubuntu does.

I think this is now superseded by novnc.

>>  nova-vncproxy & nova-xvpvncproxy:
>>  - Ubuntu has nova-vncproxy while debian has nova-xvpvncproxy (that provides nova-vncproxy)
>>  - Ubuntu has a conflict against novnc, while debian does not.

Same here, vncproxy is now novnc if I'm not mistaken. Don't know what
nova-xvpvncproxy is.

>> debian/nova-common.nova-manage.logrotate
>>  - ubuntu provides this, debian does not.
>
> This is a bug in our package that should be fixed.
>
>> debian/nova-common.postinst
>> ---------------------------
>>  - Ubuntu checks for the existance of an user/group before creating.
>>    Debian should do the same.
>
> You didn't read the script correctly then. The debian package uses
> getent, which is the correct way (tm) to do things. It's the Ubuntu
> package that is wrong here, IMO.

Is it me, but I don't see any getent? Anyway, I think getent isn't the
way togo neither, the current implementation is fine, adduser does not
fail if a group or a user already exists.

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou
# Free Software hacker & freelance