[Openstack] reservation of CPU cores?

Alex Glikson GLIKSON at il.ibm.com
Mon Sep 3 13:57:57 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I wonder whether there is an easy way to configure how many cores
nova-compute is supposed to use (or alternatively refrain from using) for
provisioning of instances on a certain host, out of the total number of
cores on that host? E.g., if I know that there are other things running on
the host, and I want to dedicate some of the CPU capacity to them (such as
OpenStack services themselves). I am thinking of KVM right now, but the
general approach is probably platform-independent. Would appreciate your
insights.

Thanks,
Alex

P.S. trivial solution is to dedicate entire host(s) to those other
"things", and assume that nova-compute is running on hosts used *only* to
run VMs (and that nova-compute itself does not need much CPU cycles). but
I am looking for a more fine-grained approach.

Alex Glikson
Manager, Cloud Operating System Technologies, IBM Haifa Research Lab
http://w3.haifa.ibm.com/dept/stt/cloud_sys.html |
https://www.research.ibm.com/haifa/dept/stt/cloud_sys.shtml
Email: glikson at il.ibm.com | Phone: +972-4-8281085 | Mobile:
+972-54-6466667 | Fax: +972-4-8296112