[Openstack] boot command fails

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Mon Sep 3 09:47:09 UTC 2012

> While trying to create a VM instance on openstack, the boot command
> (nova boot) returns the following error:
> ---
> ERROR: The server has either erred or is incapable of performing the
> requested operation. (HTTP 500)
> ---
> everything seems to be working (nova services are starting).
>

> I am using an Ubuntu 12.04 server (amd64) with Xen as a
> virtualization technology + the Essex version of openstack
>

> The used image was manually created (it is an ubuntu also). I can
> start it via xm commands.
>

> Any idea how to solve this problem?

The first step would be to surface more detailed information on the failure
that has occurred.

In Essex, most internal nova exceptions are mapped directly to 500 Server Error,
which effectively hides the underlying error condition from the client.

Folsom is more permissive in this regard, so that internal exceptions declared
safe for exposure are returned to the user.

So in your case, you'll need to scour the nova-api, nova-scheduler & nova-compute
logs to get visibility on the underlying error condition.

A quick short-cut would be to note the request ID returned (use "nova --debug boot ...")
and then grep for this in the logs mentioned above.

Cheers,
Eoghan