[Openstack] Horizon PTL Candidacy

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Sat Sep 1 00:14:02 UTC 2012

I hereby officially throw my hat in the ring to be Horizon's PTL.

Qualifications:

I'm a highly active developer on Horizon, and a member of the Horizon Drivers group. I wrote the initial version of python-keystoneclient, and I'm a member of the Keystone Core group as well. I'm also a core committer for the Django web framework on which Horizon is based. I work hard to understand the workings of the entire stack and the needs of the ecosystem at large so we can work together to make the entirety of OpenStack consistent, stable and amazing. I believe VERY strongly in stability, backwards-compatibility, and consistent, properly-versioned APIs. I also have a strong belief in the importance of translation, internationalization and localization to support our international userbases.

Contribution over the last six months:

I've been the implementer on the majority of the large Folsom blueprints, most of which had to do with improving the flow and ease-of-use of various complicated workflows. I also re-implemented the keystone authentication in Horizon to be dramatically more robust and secure. I've provided a lot of feedback on API revisions in other projects (e.g. Keystone) since those APIs deeply affect Horizon's ability to deliver on a high quality experience. I guided the community's initiative to nail down a complete set of guidelines for developers around internationalization. I've been largely leading the Horizon project in terms of architecture and code review during the Folsom timeframe despite not being the official PTL.

Most critical aspects for Horizon in the next 6 months:

Full RBAC support; continued focus on reducing the user frustration in complex workflows and interactions; adding more introspective features to reduce boilerplate; cleaner separation of end-user and admin code flows; making the admin dashboard more useful to admins as opposed to just being the same user dashboard except you can see everything in the system; improved file upload mechanisms;

Philosophical ideas regarding being a PTL:

The foremost  role of the PTL is to maintain and convey the long-term vision of the project through day-to-day work (in code, in architecture, in reviews, in answering questions, etc.). Right behind that it is crucial that the PTLs work to guide the community (in gathering consensus on difficult topics, in supporting community members of all types, in maintaining the principles of our community). A close third is that the PTLs must work with each other to ensure the consistency, compatibility, and commonality of all core projects.

I'm more than happy to answer any questions or address any concerns people may have. :-)

All the best,

    - Gabriel