[Openstack] Fwd: Openstack

Joe Warren-Meeks joe.warren.meeks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 10:03:26 UTC 2012

On 31 October 2012 00:42, Curtis C. <serverascode at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Joe Warren-Meeks
> <joe.warren.meeks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Can someone point me in the direction of a guide to get Openstack
>> working with two nodes, one as controller and the second as a compute
>> node, please?
>>
>> I've tried the CSS corp PDF and the hastexo one, but I can't get them
>> to work. All I get are virts booting straight into error.
>>
>> I want a controller node to run all keystone, glance and nova db
>> functions then a compute node to run the virtuals with vlans bridging
>> using 8021q. I've tried so many permutations and configs. I can't
>> believe I'm doing something that outrageous, but I've hacked away at
>> this for hours and hours with no joy.
>
> Is virtualization turned on in the BIOS?
>
> I think "nova show ID" will show an error message if the instance fails to

Virtualization is enabled. All the instances end up as follows:
+-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|               Property              |                Value                 |
+-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| OS-DCF:diskConfig                   | MANUAL                               |
| OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:host                | None                                 |
| OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:hypervisor_hostname | None                                 |
| OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:instance_name       | instance-00000002                    |
| OS-EXT-STS:power_state              | 0                                    |
| OS-EXT-STS:task_state               | scheduling                           |
| OS-EXT-STS:vm_state                 | error                                |
| accessIPv4                          |                                      |
| accessIPv6                          |                                      |
| config_drive                        |                                      |
| created                             | 2012-10-30T22:23:57Z                 |
| flavor                              | m1.small                             |
| hostId                              |                                      |
| id                                  | fae6adf8-2314-4096-ab0c-531dce090c34 |
| image                               | Cirros Test                          |
| key_name                            | joe                                  |
| metadata                            | {}                                   |
| name                                | test3                                |
| status                              | ERROR                                |
| tenant_id                           | b38c7e05403542ea91a3cb69e25e63de     |
| updated                             | 2012-10-30T22:23:57Z                 |
| user_id                             | b6d25008d81a456888e92dd3ffaf9cc5     |

nova-compute.log contains:
CRITICAL nova [-] Unable to read from monitor: Connection reset by peer

and

libvirtError: Unable to read from monitor: Connection reset by peer

I've made sure the vnc IP addresses are correct in nova.conf

Any pointers?