[Openstack] Allocate specific floating IP to an instance

Kiall Mac Innes kiall at managedit.ie
Tue Oct 30 11:46:23 UTC 2012

Response inline.

Thanks,
Kiall

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Sébastien Han <han.sebastien at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Kial,
>
> Hold on...
> You obviously didn't understand my question. So please don't try to
> teach me anything. I can admit that the initial description of my
> request was a bit unclear. So I'm gonna try to clarify it.

I apologize, I certainly did not intend any insult.

> I use nova-network with the VLAN manager, so I have a network range
> per projects (fixed ips), per VLAN. Each project uses a specific pool,
> I use the floating IPs to expose instances to another private network
> and I don't use the "auto_assign_floating_ip" parameter.

Great - Sounds like a pretty standard setup.

> Now, when I perform a "nova floating-ip-create <my-pool>" this gives
> me the first floating IP available of that pool. What I want to
> know/achieve is to decide the floating IP address to create. Basically
> this could lead to a command like:
>
> # nova floating-ip-create <my-pool>
> <floating-ip-that-I-want-create-from-a-pool>

Ah - I understand now.

This is not supported by Nova Network (I can't say if it's supported with
Quantum).

> But as you can see below, it's not available from the CLI:
>
> # nova help floating-ip-create
> usage: nova floating-ip-create [<floating-ip-pool>]
>
> Allocate a floating IP for the current tenant.
>
> Positional arguments:
>   <floating-ip-pool>  Name of Floating IP Pool. (Optional)
>
> Then I'll associate this floating IP to one of my instances.
>
> Let's try to raise the level of this discussion. Now if there is
> something that I don't know, or something that I missed, feel free to
> teach/correct me.

Again - I apologize. No insult was intended.

> I'm looking for a workaround, or code patch.
> Something that doesn't require huge amount of work. Is that doable?

I believe it is doable without significant changes to the code.

By patching the code to allow an extra parameter to pass through from the
REST API call, all the way through to the DB's allocation method,
the allocation method could be made to choose a particular IP by altering
the SQL query executed.

Some pointers to the relevant parts of the code:

REST API:
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/folsom/nova/api/openstack/compute/contrib/floating_ips.py#L162-180

Network Service API:
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/folsom/nova/network/api.py#L177-188

Network Service Manager:
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/folsom/nova/network/manager.py#L406-443

DB API:
*
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/folsom/nova/db/api.py#L263-269
*

DB Implementation:
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/folsom/nova/db/sqlalchemy/api.py#L700-718

I hope this helps!

Actually - It looked like it could be done fairly quickly, you can try this
(untested) patch: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1317723/plain/

Once applied, you should be able to supply an "ip" param as part of the
REST API call, and you will get that specific IP - if it is available. This
doesn't update the CLI, I've never looked at it's code so wouldn't know
where to start :)

Thanks,
Kiall