[Openstack] MAC address uniqueness in folsom

Gurjar, Unmesh Unmesh.Gurjar at nttdata.com
Fri Oct 26 13:56:48 UTC 2012

Hi,

I can think of two alternative  solutions for maintaining uniqueness:

1.       DB look up: After generating a new MAC address, checking uniqueness by doing  a DB look up.

2.       Having a 'unique' constraint on the 'mac_address' column and handle the DB IntegrityError and retry generating a new MAC address.

I also think, initializing the 'random.seed' in start-up process of Quantum server (with a different value - configurable one; on each server) could help in reducing conflicts.

I think either of the above solutions could be used for fixing LP bug #1050924.

Thanks & Regards,
Unmesh Gurjar | Lead Engineer | NTT DATA Global Technology Services Private Limited | w. +91.20.6604.1500 x 379 | m. +91.982.324.7631 | unmesh.gurjar at nttdata.com<mailto:unmesh.gurjar at nttdata.com> | Learn more at nttdata.com/americas