[Openstack] Scaling PaaS in OpenStack

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 11:02:25 UTC 2012

On 26/10/12 13:07 +0700, Frans Thamura wrote:
>Yes, we use it here, but still finding to configure with OpenStack, to
>bring scale in this case communicate with openstack nova controller,
>we just use it now here..

You could use the heat project to provide autoscaling.
The way this would work is you:
1 create an CloudFormations style template with your application (OpenShift/CloudFoundry)
2 you setup an autoscale group and alarm resource in the template
3 you post the metric of interest in your application to our Cloudwatch
   (see the calls to cfn-push-stats)

as an example look at:
https://github.com/heat-api/heat/blob/master/templates/AutoScalingMultiAZSample.template

What happens is you setup a threshold that triggers a scale up and scale down action.

also see:
https://github.com/heat-api/heat/blob/master/templates/OpenShift.template
https://github.com/heat-api/heat/wiki

-Angus