[Openstack] [Openstack :: Folsom] Quantum DHCP Agent in Compute HOST

Trinath Somanchi trinath.somanchi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 10:28:43 UTC 2012

Hi Salvatore-

Thanks a lot for the reply.

In the Setup diagram, I'm planning to make a 2 machine setup in my test
environment.

Where Can I have the Installation guideline for the Quantum L2 agent.

Have few doubts in the Quantum DHCP agent Source Code.

As I have gone through the source code, the DHCP agent runs as an RPC
daemon.

It places messages in the ampq.  I was confused with the following code in
/quantum/db/dhcp_rpc_base.py

in the method: def get_network_info()

        plugin = manager.QuantumManager.get_plugin()     <-------- To what
plugin its mapping to ? Is the appropriate plugin configured in the
configuration files.
        network = plugin.get_network(context, network_id)

How do the mapping to plugin made here?

Can you please help understand these...

Thanking you

-
Trinath

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Salvatore Orlando <sorlando at nicira.com>wrote:

> Hi Trinath,
>
> Even if is perfectly reasonable to run the DHCP/L3 agents in the
> controller node, the advice we give in the administration guide is slightly
> different.
> As suggested in [1], the only Quantum component running on the controller
> node should be the API server.
> The DHCP and L3 agents might run in a dedicated "network node". Please
> note you will need also the L2 agent running on that node.
>
> Regards,
> Salvatore
>
> [1]
> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-network/admin/content/app_demo.html
>
> On 26 October 2012 10:50, Trinath Somanchi <trinath.somanchi at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Stackers-
>>
>> I have found many installation and configuration manuals for Openstack
>> Folsom which state the installation and configuration of Quantum-DHCP-Agent
>> in the Controller machine.
>>
>> But I have doubt here,
>>
>> Can't we have the Quantum-DHCP/L3-Agent to be running in the Compute NODE
>> rather than in the controller.
>>
>> How does the Installation and configuration change with this type of
>> Installation?
>>
>> Please guide me on How to achieve the same.
>>
>> Thanking you
>>
>> --
>> Regards,

Regards,