[Openstack] Possible upgrade bug in nova-volume (& cinder)?

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Thu Oct 25 23:03:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM, John Griffith
<john.griffith at solidfire.com> wrote:

> Hey Jon,
>
> Cool... Yeah, I had intended for that patch to be a stable/folsom patch but
> shouldn't have submitted it to master :(  The real problem isn't just
> normalizing the lvm names, but also the provider_location information that
> is stored in the DB for when you try to attach to your compute node.

Yup, I had understood that.  We only have about 10 active volumes so
it was easy enough in my case to copy and paste the ids/uuids around
for mysql updates and lvrenames.  So I can now attach both old and new
volumes at my site.

> The cinder version is the same (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/14790/) and
> depending on the feedback it's a candidate for back-port.
>
> The other possible issues that I've seen people run in to:
> 1. volumes directory not being specified correctly
> 2. not restarting tgtadm
> 3. not having the include statement in /etc/tgt/conf.d
>
> I think you and I covered most of these in our chat on IRC earlier today...

I tripped over a couple more steps that I didn't know about but
managed to discover on my own as well, like 'cinder-manage db sync' to
set up the tables in the cinder database, which I'm sure are so
obvious as to be nearly invisible to people working on the code and
enough like any other openstack service it wasn't too hard to guess.
I collected up my notes and expanded migration section of the release
notes by a few steps
http://wiki.openstack.org/ReleaseNotes/Folsom#OpenStack_Block_Storage_.28Cinder.29

Thanks again,
-Jon