[Openstack] floating IPs not routed from inside

Christian Parpart trapni at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 14:27:35 UTC 2012

Hey all,

we're having quite a few compute nodes with Essex installed and one central
nova-network gateway.

We now have a few floating IPs set up to route from the world through the
gateway to these VMs.

However, accessing these floating (public) IPs from inside a *tenant's
VM*results into timeouts,
but accessing the very same IP from a compute node (hypervisor) hosting
those VMs actually does work.

Now I'm a bit confused, it seems like a routing issue or iptables NAT thing
and would be really greatful
if anyone can help me out with a hint. :)

Is this known to not work or what do you need from me to actually
understand my issue a bit more?

Many thanks in advance,
Christian Parpart.