[Openstack] [ceilometer] Potential New Use Cases

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Thu Oct 25 14:05:15 UTC 2012

That would be one way, but adding "dimensions" to the meters also makes
sense because it reduces the need to collect the data more than once. For
instance, if "flavor" was a dimension of the "instance" meter I wouldn't
need the separate meter "instance:<flavor>". These sorts of use cases were
part of the original motivation for collecting all of the metadata about a
resource, but what we have now isn't structured enough to let the API user
query into it.

How, then, do we define the dimensions for a given meter in a more
structured way? Some built-in values (like flavor) can be pulled
automatically based on the resource type, but what about settings
controlled by the deployer and end-user (for purposes other than billing)?

Doug