[Openstack] Possible upgrade bug in nova-volume (& cinder)?

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Wed Oct 24 18:45:28 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I'm seeing a bug due to my recent essex to folsom upgrade relating to
LVM back volume storage, I'm not sure where it got introduced most
likely either in nova-volume or in the Ubuntu cloud archive
packaging...I only noticed it after transitioning from
folsom-nova-volume to fosom-cinder but despite thinking I'd tested the
nova-volume service before moving to cinder I'm pretty sure it had to
exist in nova-volume as well (prehaps it was masked becasue I didn't
restart tgtd until cinder)

The symptom is that volumes created under folsom (with nova-volume or
cinder) can be attached.

The reason is that the backing-store devices in both
/var/lib/nova/volumes/* and /var/lib/cinder/volumes/* are all named
/dev/<vg>/volume-<uuid> while under essex the volumes were named
/dev/<vg>/volume-<id>

To fix this for me I can look up the volumes by ID in the database and
then lvrename the logical volumes (I don't have too many and all on
one volume server right now).

Before I go sifting through postinst scripts and openstack code to see
whre this came from anyone know where I should file this (and has
anyone else run into it)?

-Jon