[Openstack] [OpenStack] Ceilometer API Glossary

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 09:34:40 UTC 2012

> I am testing ceilometer in my devstack virtual machine. Although I
> can see the meter data model in the mongodb, I am confused about
> some glossary when I test its Web API. I am not very clear about the
> " resource" in the " GET /v1/resources",either "source" in the "GET
> /v1/sources/(source)/meters/(meter)".
> Can someone explain these two concept? Thanks a lot.

Hi Yawei,

Good question!

My understanding is that the resources collection refers to the set
of UUIDs identifying the openstack entities (e.g. instance, volume,
image ... etc.) being metered, whereas the source refers to the
origin of the metering data and is effectively unused right now
as there is only a single source currently (though we could in the
future for example distinguish between metric and metering data
in this way).

Cheers,
Eoghan