[Openstack] Use of MAC addresses in Openstack VMs

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Oct 23 08:35:30 UTC 2012

Nachi Ueno wrote:
> My proposal is the default OUI value should be owned by OpenStack
> foundation if $2000 isn't concern for OpenStack foundation.

To summarize the discussion so far, it is suggested that the OpenStack
Foundation could buy a OUI that we'd use as the default value, rather
than a random one that may be used by someone else. That one would be
used for development, while all serious deployers are encouraged to get
their own.

The issue reported with that is that it creates a smaller space for
collision amongst OpenStack users. Encouraging people to use
locally-assigned OUI or buy their own might therefore be a better strategy.

More thoughts ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)