[Openstack] Use of MAC addresses in Openstack VMs

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Mon Oct 22 12:08:26 UTC 2012

On 10/20/2012 07:23 PM, Tim Bell wrote:

> If we purchase an OUI, is there a mechanism within Quantum to only
> allocate Mac addresses with that prefix ?

At the moment Quantum enables the user to define a base MAC address.
That is the user can update the configuration file. The user selects a
base MAC and the MAC's are allocated in that range. I think that this
gives us a lot of flexibility.

Please see below for the configuration options.

# Base MAC address. The first 3 octets will remain unchanged. If the
# 4h octet is not 00, it will also used. The others will be
# randomly generated.
# 3 octet
# base_mac = fa:16:3e:00:00:00
# 4 octet
# base_mac = fa:16:3e:4f:00:00

If I recall correctly this is hard coded in nova networking.

Thanks
Gary