[Openstack] Use of MAC addresses in Openstack VMs

Vinay Bannai vbannai at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 03:05:28 UTC 2012

I was talking to Nachi and Gary during the Quantum design session about the
need to have a proper MAC OUI allocation scheme for Openstack development
folks. They suggested that I send it out for wider discussion on the
mailing list.

It turns out that it would be useful for the Openstack foundation to apply
for a MAC OUI from IEEE that can be used for development purposes and
testing. This way we don't unwittingly use someone else MAC allocation.
Here are the details

http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/index.html

The cost to get a OUI allocation is around $2000 dollars. Remember if we
use random MAC OUI,  the actual owners can assert their legal claim on the
MAC address in the event of a conflict now that we have support for more
sophisticated tunnels that allow connections from public and private
clouds.

Comments welcome.

Vinay