[Openstack] What's up doc? October 2012 Summit round-up

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Oct 19 18:42:48 UTC 2012

Hi all-
I'd like to offer an abbreviated doc summary this week. The summit doc
track was brief and in a word, fantastic. I think we have a lot of
good momentum for tooling, translation, API doc work, and operators
doc work. Thanks to everyone who participated.

A few awesome outcomes:
- We're going to track API doc bugs separately from
admin/install/operator doc bugs with the new Launchpad project,
http://launchpad.net/openstack-api-site. The repo split has not yet
happened.
- We're applying with a small team to the Google Doc Summit in Dec.
2012 to write an operator's manual. See
https://sites.google.com/site/docsprintsummitv2/.
- We're working with CI to get the documentation translation system
automated. See http://wiki.openstack.org/Documentation/Translation.
- Going forward the contributors license agreement for documentation
indicates the docs are licensed CC-by.
- Still 12 doc bugs prevent us from releasing a "Folsom" set of
documentation. Join in -
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+milestone/folsom.
- I had a realization about how few docs we have about new nova.conf
options, and even grepping the source code isn't revealing much. We
need to get much, much better at configuration information. Here's a
starting patch: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/14569/

Next week I'm in New Zealand, giving a talk about our style of open,
collaborative documentation, so I'll be checking email and on IRC at
odd times (for me!) Keep the patches and bugs coming.

Thanks for all the energy and inspiration this week. Dopenstack for the win!
Anne