[Openstack] ask for comments - Light weight Erasure code framework for swift

Eugene Kirpichov ekirpichov at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 23:30:56 UTC 2012

Hi Sam,

My five cents.

Using Fountain codes, which are also a class of EC, one can make all
the blocks equivalent in role (no separation into data and parity
blocks).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_code

They resolve a few of the issues that you raised, however they may
raise others - e.g. it's more difficult to determine how many blocks
you need to fetch to reconstruct the data.

Eugene Kirpichov
http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekirpichov
We're hiring! http://tinyurl.com/mirantis-openstack-engineer