[Openstack] looking for a Nova scheduler filter plugin to boot nodes on named hosts

Christian Parpart trapni at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 14:34:55 UTC 2012

Hey all,

many thanks for your replies so far.

In general, I must say that there really is an absolute need for explicit
provisioning, that is, deciding by the admin what single host to prefer
(but still to reject when there're just no resources left of course).

- Filter like SameHost filter only works when there is already a host, and
then you've to look up and built up the correlation first (not a big
problem, but doesn't feel comfortable).
- IsolatedHosts filter doesn't make that much sense, as we are using one
general "template-%{TIMESTAMP}" to bootstrap some node and then set up
everything else inside, and we usually still may have more than one VM on
that compute node (e.g. a memcached VM and a postfix VM).
- availability zones, so I got told, are deprecated already (dunno) and I
can't give every compute node a different availability zone, as - tbh -
that's what I have hostnames for :-)

Philip, I'd really like to dive into developing such a plugin, let's call
it HostnameFilter-plugin, that the operator can pass one (or a set of)
hostname(s) that are allowed to spawn the VM on.
However, I just wrote Python once, and even dislike the syntax a bit, not
saying I hate it, but still :-)

Is there any guide (/tutorial) for reference (or hello_world nova scheduler
plugin) I can look at to learn on how to write such a plugin?

Many thanks for your replies so far,
Christian Parpart.