[Openstack] looking for a Nova scheduler filter plugin to boot nodes on named hosts

GMI M gmi68745 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 14:13:21 UTC 2012

Hi Christian,

I think you might be able to use the existing filters in Essex.
For example, you can add the following lines in the nova.conf of the
controller host (or where nova-scheduler runs) and restart nova-scheduler:

isolated_hosts="nova7"
isolated_images="sadsd1e35dfe63"

This will allow you to run the image with ID "sadsd1e35dfe63" only on the
compute host "nova7".
You can also pass a list of compute servers in the isolated_hosts, if you
have the need.

I certainly see the use-case for this feature, for example when you want to
run Windows based instances and you don't want to buy a Windows datacenter
license for each nova-compute host, but only for a few that will run
Windows instances.

I hope this helps you.