[Openstack] A simple guide to install OpenStack Folsom

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 22:33:11 UTC 2012

I played around with the idea this afternoon, and settled on something as
simple as this in keystoneclient rather than keystone-manage:

$ keystone help bootstrap
usage: keystone bootstrap [--user-name <user-name>] --pass <password>
                          [--role-name <role-name>]
                          [--tenant-name <tenant-name>]

Grants a new role to a new user on a new tenant, after creating each.

Optional arguments:
  --user-name <user-name>
                        The name of the user to be created
(default="admin").
  --pass <password>
                        The password for the new user.
  --role-name <role-name>
                        The name of the role to be created and granted to
the user (default="admin").
  --tenant-name <tenant-name>
                        The name of the tenant to be
created (default="admin").

Example usage:

$ keystone-manage db_sync

$ keystone-all

$ keystone --token=ADMIN --endpoint=http://localhost:35357/v2.0/ *bootstrap*
 --pass=secrete

$ keystone --os-username=admin --os-password=secrete --os-tenant-name=admin
--os-auth-url=http://localhost:35357/v2.0/ token-get

+-----------+----------------------------------+

|  Property |              Value               |

+-----------+----------------------------------+

|  expires  |       2012-10-11T22:25:02Z       |

|     id    | 4ae78bd2cd9049888060d07acddf88d1 |

| tenant_id | 8fbba4f7f77e4acb80d746c65f20882b |

|  user_id  | d8e31d9a341243a2bb8d575707a273ea |

The same "shortcut" idea could apply to other extremely common usage
patterns on the CLI (e.g. registering a service *and* all of it's endpoints
in a single CLI command), thus eliminating most of the complexity of basic
setup scripts like sample_data.sh and it's variants.

I also put this up for review: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/14314

-Dolph