[Openstack] Horizon Bug 1004412 Details

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Sat Oct 6 18:19:28 UTC 2012

Hello,

I've been aware of Bug 1004412 (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/horizon/+bug/1004412) in my Essex deployments
for a while and finally had some time to look into it in detail.

I believe I have found the cause and wanted to discuss what I found vs how
it was fixed in the patch.

>From what I can see, when an admin requests a list of volumes, all volumes
in the cloud are returned. But when an admin requests a list of instances,
only instances owned by the admin are returned -- unless an option to
return all instances is specified.

Because of these two distinct actions, the chances of a KeyError happening
when visiting /nova/instances_and_volumes is extremely high once other
projects begin working in the OpenStack environment: all volumes from all
projects are returned but only admin instances are returned, so any volume
attached in another project cannot find its corresponding instance.

I see two proper solutions to this issue: either only return volumes owned
by the admin or return all instances in all projects by default. I was
unable to figure out (without doing too many changes) how to filter
volumes, so I decided on the latter solution. In views.py, I modified the
call to get a list of instances to be:

            if self.request.user.is_admin():
                self._instances_list = api.server_list(self.request,
all_tenants=True)
            else:
                self._instances_list = api.server_list(self.request)

Without looking at the implementation details, but instead what the
implementation is trying to achieve, I do not see this same issue being
resolved in the patch (
https://github.com/openstack/horizon/commit/155bfb72c1b5f866236928f4ffd0c2567dc556f3
).

My question is if I have incorrectly assessed the issue or if the patch is
taking other things into account that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,
Joe

--
Joe Topjian
Systems Administrator

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.