[Openstack] Cells Status

Tom Fifield fifieldt at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Oct 5 02:33:25 UTC 2012

On 05/10/12 03:40, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Along this type of line, I know we've talked about it before.
>
> But is cells the right way that we want to go? Not that it isn't, but
> possibly at the summit we can talk about it in detail before pushing it
> into trunk.

Given the overflowing room of people who turned up to the last summit to
talk about Cells, the enormous amount of positive feedback there, the
fact it's been so delayed and that the code is already ~done and being
used in production in some instances, waiting to get it into trunk
(which is already becoming more and more difficult to do) seems like a
suboptimal idea.

By all means, discuss the methodology, propose an excellent new idea,
code it up and rip cells out then. However, knocking back something
that's this far advanced just seems a little cruel for both those who
worked so hard, and the deployers who have been screaming for it :)

In NeCTAR's case (perhaps in Rackspace and HP's case before us?), we
can't wait, we're happy with Cells and we're going live with it whether
it's in trunk or not. However, it would really, really, really, really
make it easier to make an awesome OpenStack-based cloud if it was in
trunk :)

Regards,

Tom