[Openstack] Network IP address setting in nova.conf file

Jānis Ģeņģeris janis.gengeris at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 17:48:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Ahmed Al-Mehdi <ahmed at coraid.com> wrote:

> Hi Janis,
>
> Thank you very much for your response.  I have some questions to your
> response which are inlined below.
>
> Regards,
> Ahmed.
>
> From: Jānis Ģeņģeris <janis.gengeris at gmail.com>
> Date: Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:37 AM
> To: Ahmed Al-Mehdi <ahmed at coraid.com>
> Cc: Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org>, "openstack at lists.launchpad.net" <
> openstack at lists.launchpad.net>
> Subject: Re: [Openstack] Network IP address setting in nova.conf file
>
> Hello Ahmed,
>
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Ahmed Al-Mehdi <ahmed at coraid.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Anne,
>>
>> Thank you for the explanation.  A few follow-up question:
>>
>> 1. Is the set of IP address mentioned by fixed_range distributed over all
>> the Compute Nodes. E.g., a VM on Compute Node1 would get an IP address
>> from this range.  Another VM instance on Compute Node2 would get an IP
>> address from this same range.  Is that right?
>>
> I think it depends on configuration, but with standard setup as described
> in docs, it's done exactly as you think.
>
> 2. Pardon my ignorance, what does POC stand for?
>>
> It might be Proof Of Concept , depends on context.
>

>> 3. br100 interface can be created on a Native Ubuntu server also, not
>> necessarily on VM in VirtualBox, right?
>

>> 4. The br100 interface is only applicable to the Computer Node, not the
>> Controller Node, right?
>>

> http://docs.openstack.org/essex/openstack-compute/admin/content/libvirt-flat-dhcp-networking.html
> This image gives good illustration about the responsibilities assigned to
> br100.
>
> As I understand then br100 is interface where the VM network will be
> plugged in. It makes sens of having it only on compute nodes. But you can
> assign addresses from different subnets to the bridge, and make the
> instances accessible from the controller node as well.
>

>> 5. The command to create the network for compute VMs - "nova-manage
>> network create Š." is executed on the Compute Node, right?
>
> nova-manage works with the configured database and uses your nova.conf for
> getting the db dsn. It is independent from compute nodes. It depends on
> network configuration what happens later and where it's executed. I think
> nova-network service is working with all the network stuff if you are not
> using quantum. But I might be wrong here.
>

> The reason I posed the question is because in the "Install and Deploy.."
> document, it seem  the command "nova-manage" will create the br100
> interface (on the Compute Node).  How does it do that if it is executed on
> the Controller Node.

I might be wrong, but I guess, that when you try to create a new instance,
the RPC call is made, and if the bridge is not on a compute node already,
it is created. For specific details you should check the source.

>> 6. In my setup, one physical host will be the Controller Node, one
>> physical host is the Compute Node, and I might add another physical host
>> to be the Compute Node.  In this setup, what I the recommended setup for
>> public_interface?  Or does that depend on the number of NIC ports on the
>> physical host?
>>
> The public interface is where the floating IPs are handled. Better make it
> separate, although I have red that people have managed to make compute
> nodes with single interface, it might be more painful to setup.
>

> Are you recommending the Compute Node have two interfaces (eth0 and eth1,
> eth0 is the public interface connected to the outside world).  The br100
> interface on the Compute Node is connected to which physical interface,
> eth0 or eth1?
>
> I would recommend 3 if you are experimenting alot. One is for floating IP
net, one is for service & VM net, and one is the address that you use to
ssh into server.

Then br100 is connected with eth1.

I think this great blog entry from Mirantis will help you alot
http://www.mirantis.com/blog/openstack-networking-flatmanager-and-flatdhcpmanager/

--
--janis