[Openstack] What's up doc? Oct 3 2012

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Oct 3 21:43:32 UTC 2012

Hi all -
Welcome to doc land, where grammarians reign and roam.

Had a good discussion yesterday at the project team meeting about
defining "done" for documentation. While projects need to have all
Critical/High bugs addressed, it's difficult to define what makes a
release-critical doc issue. As I said in the meeting, I've been
mentally reducing importance of some (so that they are no longer
release-blocking) but perhaps need to mark them as so in Launchpad.
All that to say, we will keep working on docs until after the Design
Summit and not cut a "release" for at least another 3-4 weeks.

1. In review and merged this past week:
Added Fedora install instructions for Quantum.
Many additions to Quantum admin documentation this week.
Added an all-in-one Folsom install on Ubuntu 12.04 as an appendix to
the Install / Deploy guide.
New sitemap.xml should alleviate some of the Google search results
oddities we've seen.
Added "More releases..." link to docs landing pages.
CLI guide is no longer one long page.
Image API doc updates for 1.1.

2. High priority doc work:
Need volume docs, both an API document and how to configure different
storage backends. I know the Cinder team is well aware of this need.
Install/deploy guide improvements to get people running Folsom -
waiting packages but pointing to Ubuntu Cloud Archive in the docs now.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:
Working on clarification on scripted setup for users, roles, tenants,
and services. Bug logged for the keystone sample_data.sh script at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1061144 . Doc patch ready for
review at: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/13984/.

4. New incoming doc requests:
Bugs being logged against the install/deploy guide as more people try
to get Folsom going.
Big uptick in visitors to API-related docs.

5. Doc tools updates:
Expecting 1.6.0 Maven plugin to land soon. Watch
https://github.com/rackspace/clouddocs-maven-plugin for updates.

6. Other doc news:
Reviewing summit proposals for the Documentation track.