[Openstack] Networking issues for openstack on XCP

Yan Zhai zhaiyan920 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 06:54:35 UTC 2012

Hi John,

   thanks for your careful answer. I just backed from vacation, too and
wish you have had a good time.

   I have been reading these documents again and again to check if I missed
something. My current understanding is: when I have two NIC, I should
configure xenbr0 and xenbr1 as default. Then under flat network assumption,
for each traffic type, I should create a vif in each control domU, with a
specific flat IP address range assigned to them (These addresses should
correspond to the bridge I choose to let flat condition hold). And when
each guest is starting, they will can have two vif, one for VM network, and
one for optional floating public address.
   Am I right about the configuration here?  If true, then is it also
combine the traffic of, for example, management and public access?  It may
sound stupid but I just want to confirm if it works as I expected.

   for multi-node nova-network I think I almost get it. I previously
thought each of which works individually but from nova-manage result I
think I was wrong. The only thing that still troubles me is whether I write
the correct config in nova.conf. I think 'xxx_interface' should be filled
with VIF name, and 'xxx_bridge' should be filled with BRIDGE name, is this
correct? Looks a little confusing anyway.

   I have manually patched the vif script with the 5.6 patch, but each time
I start the host-rule script, the VM is then not accessible from ssh.

   lastly for quantum, the major difficulties for me is the agent
installation of OVS plugins. It seems agents will rely on quantum modules,
which then try to load 'libudev'. However, libudev does not exist on CentOS
5.4 as far as I know, so that prevents me from marching on. Maybe this is
not the case for Debian/Ubuntu-XCP development, but it does trouble XCP
using.

thanks again for your help.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:59 AM, John Garbutt <John.Garbutt at citrix.com>wrote:

> There are docs here:
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/folsom/openstack-compute/admin/content/introduction-to-xen.html
> And networking info here:
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/folsom/openstack-compute/admin/content/xenapi-flat-dhcp-networking.html
>
> Let me know what bits are confusing, and I will make an effort to improve
> the docs around that area, and help you through things.

Firstly, quantum support in XCP (with OVS) is still a work in progress.
> Help to review the changes in Gerrit are very welcome!

Now, lets look at your questions...

--
- Yan