[Openstack] nova-network sometimes stops routing Floating IPs

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 17:20:36 UTC 2012

On Nov 21, 2012, at 8:10 AM, Christian Parpart <trapni at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I am having a rather serious with the central (OpenStack' Essex) nova-network gateway we have set up.
> We have quite some floating IPs assigned to a few virtual machines, and it just works.
> But since a few days (or weeks)  I notice that some VM does not get inbound traffic from
> external IPs, such as the internet, through the floating IP to be DNAT'ed to the application VM.
>
> We tried to debug it, and it is definitely something with nova-network service going wrong here.
>
> Now, a `pkill dnsmasq && sleep 2 && initctl restart nova-network` actually fixes it.

> The question now is *why* does it fix it. The routing tables do not really seem to have changed,
> unless I was missing something while checking :).
>
> Is there anything nova-network is doing as well except setting up IPs and iptables?
> Or - what is nova-network actually doing in general and what could be the reason the run into
> such a situation.

restarting nova-network will rebind all of the ips, restart dnsmasq and set up all of the iptables rules, so
it sounds like either the ip bindings were lost or the iptables rules or routes were somehow messed up. Nova-network
doesn't do anything special except configure bridges ips and iptables.

Vish