[Openstack] OpenStack Controller failover

Razique Mahroua razique.mahroua at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 08:59:55 UTC 2012

Hey Edwards,
that is a concern many arise, today, there is not any both answer and implementations that would allow you to setup such.
One approach is to work with stateless instances - using an orchestration tool such a Puppet of Chef, which would take care by itself of the spawning and restoration. It supposes to relegate all the data to the orchestration tool. In case a node fails, or even an instance - redeploying would take less time.
I myself encountered though some customers topology which don't fit such approach (critical databases, etc...) for such case, you can either prep. a sleeping instance in one another node or setup a data replication between X instances. Network-wise you can automate the floating ip allocation using a detection solution.
I think that feature (auto respawn) would come up soon (guys feel free to correct me), since this is a real concern.
Regards,
Razique

Nuage & Co - Razique Mahroua
razique.mahroua at gmail.com