[Openstack] [Folsom] Nova-compute: Class LibvirtDriver cannot be found

Nikola Pajtic salgeras at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 18:36:18 UTC 2012

Hello to all!

I have a problem with nova-compute daemon, start-up fails with following
error:

2012-11-15 19:14:34 INFO nova.compute.manager [-] Loading compute driver
'libvirt.LibvirtDriver'
2012-11-15 19:14:34 ERROR nova.compute.manager [-] Unable to load the
virtualization driver: Class LibvirtDriver cannot be found (['Traceback
(most recent call last):\n', '  File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nova/openstack/common/importutils.py",
line 31, in import_class\n    return getattr(sys.modules[mod_str],
class_str)\n', "AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute
'LibvirtDriver'\n"])

My release is Folsom, running on Ubuntu Server 12.04 x86_64.

This is /etc/nova/nova.conf file:

-------------------------------
[DEFAULT]
dhcpbridge_flagfile=/etc/nova/nova.conf
iscsi_helper=tgtadm
root_helper=sudo nova-rootwrap /etc/nova/rootwrap.conf
ec2_private_dns_show_ip=True
api_paste_config=/etc/nova/api-paste.ini
#dhcpbridge=/usr/bin/nova-dhcpbridge
nova_url=http://192.168.0.12:8774/v1.1/
cc_host=192.168.0.12
metadata_host=192.168.0.12
metadata_listen=0.0.0.0
ec2_dmz_host=192.168.0.12
s3_host=192.168.0.11
s3_port=3333
enabled_apis=ec2,osapi_compute,metadata
osapi_compute_extension=nova.api.openstack.compute.contrib.standard_extensions
allow_resize_to_same_host=True

## LOGS/STATE
verbose=True
logdir=/var/log/nova
state_path=/var/lib/nova
lock_path=/var/lock/nova

# AUTH
auth_strategy=keystone

# SCHEDULER
compute_scheduler_driver=nova.scheduler.filter_scheduler.FilterScheduler

## CINDER
volume_api_class=nova.volume.cinder.API
osapi_volume_listen_port=5900

# DATABASE
sql_connection=mysql://nova:nova123@localhost/nova

## COMPUTE - KVM
libvirt_use_virtio_for_bridges=True
#connection_type=libvirt
compute_driver=libvirt.LibvirtDriver
libvirt_type=kvm
libvirt_cpu_mode=none
instance_name_template=instance-%08x
instances_path=/var/lib/nova/instances

# RABBITMQ
rabbit_host=192.168.0.12
rabbit_password=openstack

## VIF-PLUGGING, using Nova Security Groups:
libvirt_vif_driver=nova.virt.libvirt.vif.LibvirtHybirdOVSBridgeDriver

## QUANTUM and other network stuff
network_api_class=nova.network.quantumv2.api.API
quantum_url=http://192.168.0.13:9696
quantum_auth_strategy=keystone
quantum_admin_tenant_name=service
quantum_admin_username=quantum
quantum_admin_password=openstack
quantum_admin_auth_url=http://192.168.0.13:35357/v2.0
force_dhcp_release=True
linuxnet_interface_driver=nova.network.linux_net.LinuxOVSInterfaceDriver
firewall_driver=nova.virt.libvirt.firewall.IptablesFirewallDriver
fixed_range=192.168.0.22/28

# GLANCE
image_service=nova.image.glance.GlanceImageService
glance_api_servers=192.168.0.12:9292

# NOVNC CONSOLE
novnc_enabled=true
novncproxy_base_url=http://192.168.0.12:6080/vnc_auto.html
xvpvncproxy_base_url=http://192.168.0.12:6081/console
novncproxy_port=6080
# Change vncserver_proxyclient_address and vncserver_listen to match each
compute host
vncserver_proxyclient_address=192.168.0.12
vncserver_listen=192.168.0.12
my_ip=192.168.0.12

[keystone_authtoken]
auth_host = 192.168.0.12
auth_port = 35357
auth_protocol = http
auth_uri = http://192.168.0.12:5000/
admin_tenant_name = ubuntu
admin_user = admin
admin_password = openstack

I've installed all libvirt packages (including python-libvirt) and I have
support for KVM.

root at novaglance:~# dpkg --get-selections | grep libvirt
libvirt-bin                    install
libvirt-dev                    install
libvirt-ocaml                    install
libvirt0                    install
libvirt0-dbg                    install
libvirtodbc0                    install
python-libvirt                    install

root at novaglance:~# kvm-ok
INFO: /dev/kvm exists
KVM acceleration can be used

root at novaglance:~# nova-manage service list
Binary           Host                                 Zone
Status     State Updated_At
nova-cert        novaglance                           nova
enabled    :-)   2012-11-15 18:23:12
nova-consoleauth novaglance                           nova
enabled    :-)   2012-11-15 18:23:12
nova-scheduler   novaglance                           nova
enabled    :-)   2012-11-15 18:23:12
nova-volume      novaglance                           nova
enabled    XXX   None

So, am I missing some package which provides LibvirtDriver class? Or
something else could prevent nova-compute to start? I did a lot of googling
and I found the same question on several mailing lists and IRC chat logs,
but no one gave any solution.

I was hoping that changed over time and that someone could help me with
this one.

Thank you all in advance.

Best regards.