[Openstack] GRE Tunneling with Ubuntu 12.10

Daviey Walker dave.walker at canonical.com
Thu Nov 8 20:41:51 UTC 2012

On 8 November 2012 19:59, Skible OpenStack <skible.openstack at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone please confirm that GRE Tunneling can be done using ubuntu  12.10
> !
>
> I am kind of having a problem with my OVS agent, it doesn't work because
> patch or something is not supported by my kernel version !
>
> Cheers

Hi,

The openvswitch mainline kernel support doesn't include GRE support,
and therefore neither does the Ubuntu Kernel.  This is resolved by
installing the dkms module via, sudo apt-get install
openvswitch-datapath-dkms.

The initial 12.10 openvswitch package had this disabled, as it was
believed that it was now all in mainline.  However, the dkms module
was re-enabled to resolve this.

It was tracked via bug,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1068365

Thanks.